2014 Xperia Mini
I bought my Sony Ericsson Xperia ST 15i Mini from Amazon on 8/20/2014. The phone came with Android 4.0.4 - Kernel version 22.214.171.124-perf, Build number 4.1.B.0.587
INSTALLING CyanogenMod to get to Android 4.4.4 (Kernel 3.4.0-LX) - Android phones come with bloatware installed that slows them down and removes features. CyanogenMod is close to the "original" Android from Google that gives you back all the good features and removes all the bad bloatware the slows down the phone. So the steps below are what I do to install the correct software.
1) it does not have a SIM card at this point - I activated WiFi and connected to a network
2) Installed USB from instructions on this page:
(link to drivers here but I put them on ski-epic here.
3) I unlocked my boot loader by going to http://developer.sonymobile.com/unlockbootloader, selecting my device (Xperia Mini), filling out my email address, and when I got the email clicking on the verify link and also entering my phone's IMEI (found in "Settings"->"About phone"->"Status"). The webpage displays "Your unlock code: DC9E715CF------- which I used in the instructions below in step 4:
4) Install the Android SDK and the device drivers - Downloaded from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html (64 bit) and also saved here on ski-epic (354 MBytes). I extracted the contents of that zip into C:\android_development\ and then double clicked to run "C:\android_development\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702\SDK Manager.exe" and installed all defaults PLUS THE ADDITIONAL "Google USB Driver Package" (Found as a sub item under "Extras"). After installing, I clicked "Install 5 packages" AGAIN to download and install some sort of update?
NOW REPLACE: C:\android_development\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702\sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf
WITH: unpacked one from "downloadinf_v1.01.zip"
From Chris B: Install Android SDK Optional: Add platform-tools to PATH for ease of use. On Windows: Edit \extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf 01: Add the following underneath the nexus devices in the NTx86 and NTamd64 sections. ; SonyEricsson %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0FCE&PID_0DDE %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0FCE&PID_0DDE&MI_01 %SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0FCE&PID_0DDE
02: Enable Developer Mode by going to settings and tapping the version/firmware until it enables. 03: In Developer settings enable usb debugging. 04: Copy ROM and Google Apps to sdcard. 05: Go into command-line on the computer and run adb reboot bootloader. 06: Once phone is in bootloader run "fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock your-code-here" 07: Run "fastboot erase system" then "fastboot erase userdata" from the command-line. 08: Extract boot.img from your rom of choice. 09: Run "fastboot flash boot boot.img" from the command-line. 10: Run "fastboot reboot" from the command-line. 11: Phone should reboot into recovery. 12: Use volume up/down and the menu key to select "mounts and storage". 13: Format /system, then /data, then /cache (order is important!). 14: Use back button to return to main menu, select "install zip from sdcard". 15: Select the rom zip and install. 16: Select gapps zip and install. 17: Back to main menu and reboot.
Connect to "FastBoot" - see
5.1) Turn off Xperia Mini - then connect it by USB Cable to computer
5.2) Press "Volume Up" on Xperia Mini while turning on the Xperia Mini - hold up volume for a while (30 seconds)
From ChrisB: #### References #### From ChrisB: http://legacyxperia.github.io/ From ChrisB: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2545354 From ChrisB: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/themes-apps/standard-minimal-gapps-t2012857 From ChrisB: From ChrisB: #### Notes #### From ChrisB: From ChrisB: To get into fastboot... From ChrisB: From ChrisB: 01: Turn phone off. From ChrisB: 02: Plug into computer. From ChrisB: 03: Hold volume up and turn on. From ChrisB: 04: Light will turn purple (booting) then blue (fastboot). From ChrisB: 05: If not, rinse and repeat. From ChrisB: From ChrisB: If drivers don't install... From ChrisB: From ChrisB: 01: Go into Device Manager. From ChrisB: 02: Select device. From ChrisB: 03: Point at \extras\google\usb_driver\android_winusb.inf From ChrisB: 04: Accept all warning dialogs.
5.3) Open a cmd.exe prompt and go to C:\android_development\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702\sdk\platform-tools\
5.3.1) type "fastboot devices" in the command prompt (should list a device!!)
5.3.2) type "fastboot -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xDC9E715--------" (where "DC9E7...." was my unlock code)
(note: if this says < waiting for device > and never returns - fastboot isn't configed correctly)
NOTES FROM BRIANW
- I installed the Sony "FastBoot Driver" from http://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/drivers/fastboot-driver/ also saved to ski-epic here.
- We do not need to "root" it because we've installed CyanogenMod, but root instructions here: http://xperiahtcrootingrom.com/how-to-root-xperia-mini-st15i-sony/
MORE STEPS TO CUSTOMIZE MY PHONE
001. I inserted the sim chip behind the battery (this gives it my phone number)
002. Plugged phone into USB on Windows laptop and copied into ringtones MuppetsRingtone_MP3 (for general ringtone) and BohemianRhapsodyMuppets_MP3 for Katherine. Launch phone (for phone call) then go into "Settings" (under hot dog three dots lower right) to set general ringtone. Go into "People" application on phone and figure out how to edit for Katherine.
003. Plugged phone into USB on Windows laptop and copied SolidBlueWallpaper_JPG into pictures. Set it as background in as many places as possible. Also copied brian_corporate_JPG and set it up in the "People" phone application which gives me an identity picture in text messaging.
004. Launch "Google Play" store, download Backblaze and "Angry Birds".
004. Added several things to "Personal Dictionary" which is found under "Keyboard and Input" in "Settings". sm=:-), bw=--BrianW, hg=(hug) NOTE: does not seem to work!
Return to Random Stufff
Return to Ski-Epic home page.